Monday, November 4, 2013

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1) Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.


My Review:

Obsidian was a great start to a paranormal series that I will definitely be reading more of.  The characters were awesome, and I loved the dialogue, especially between Daemon and Katy.  Those these two liked to pretend they didn't like each other, I am looking forward to seeing some romance between them because I know they would make a good couple.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

Katy is a great character who has a few things in common with me.  She has my name, though she spells it differently than I do.  She is a book blogger, just like I am.  I loved the parts of the book that referenced book blogging.  "Waiting on Wednesday" and "In My Mailbox" both got mentions in this book.  And there was also the part when she came home from school and her pre-ordered books had come in the mail and were waiting on her doorstep.  I liked Katy's reactions to Daemon as well.  When he was rude to her, she always had a comeback ready.

Daemon was a great character.  He was rude to Katy, but I could eventually tell that he really did have his reasons.  That was especially obvious when I read the bonus Daemon POV chapters at the end of the book. He knew that he could leave a trace on Katy if he used his powers at all, and he knew that would put both him and his sister, Dee, in danger.  Though it may seem like he's pushing Katy away out of meanness, he really just cares about his twin sister and doesn't want her to get hurt.  There was chemistry between Katy and Daemon, even when they were acting like they hated each other.  I really looked forward to seeing some romance between these two, and I hope they become a couple later in the series.

I thought that Dee was a good friend to Katy.  She is an alien, so she is not exactly a usual friend.  She cares about Katy, though, and she really wants to be friends with her.  She wants a normal human friend, because she doesn't want  to only be able to interact with her brother and the other aliens.  She worries that Daemon will steer Katy away from her.  She doesn't want Katy to get hurt, but that doesn't keep her from becoming friends with her.  Overall, I enjoyed her character and look forward to seeing more of her later in the series.

If you like YA paranormal, read this book.

Katie

1 comment:

  1. I really love this book too. I though Katy being a book blogger was such a nice touch, and it really made her extra likeable :]

    ReplyDelete