Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf

Allie lost everything the night her boyfriend, Trip, died in a horrible car accident—including her memory of the event. As their small town mourns his death, Allie is afraid to remember because doing so means delving into what she’s kept hidden for so long: the horrible reality of their abusive relationship.

When the police reopen the investigation, it casts suspicion on Allie and her best friend, Blake, especially as their budding romance raises eyebrows around town. Allie knows she must tell the truth. Can she reach deep enough to remember that night so she can finally break free? Debut writer Jennifer Shaw Wolf takes readers on an emotional ride through the murky waters of love, shame, and, ultimately, forgiveness.


My Review:

When I saw the synopsis of this book, I was sure I would like it, so I immediately put it on my TBR list.  I was right in my prediction that I would love this book, because I did love it.  The book had strong characterization, setting, and plot - everything that makes a story. 

POSSIBLE SPOILERS


First, I have to mention the characterization.  Every character in this book was well-developed and had a story.  Allie was a great protagonist.  She had been broken by Trip's abuse, and it was amazing to watch her gain confidence in herself again as the book progressed.  Even though Trip was dead, I was able to know a lot about his character through Allie's flashbacks.  I disliked him, but he was an important part of the story.  Another great character was Allie's twin brother, Andrew.  He understood Allie, and he cared about her well-being.  I also liked his girlfriend, Caitlyn, because she really saw him beyond his disability.  One of my favorite characters was Blake.  He was Allie's childhood friend, and he really loved her.  I loved watching their friendship slowly develop into more.


Second, the setting was very important to the story.  Allie lived in a small town near the ocean.  The small town was important because rumors spread fast there.  People quickly became suspicious of Trip's death.  I did not like some of the people in the town, because they loved Trip, and I knew that he had abused Allie.  The ocean affected the story because it was where secrets often went.  Allie threw all her memories of Trip there, and Trip and his car had disappeared into the ocean.  


Finally, the plot was interesting and suspenseful.  There was a mystery of how Trip died that was ongoing throughout the story.  I never would have guessed the ending and who was responsible for causing Trip's death.  The story is completely unpredictable, and it keeps you turning the pages.


If you want to read a YA contemporary with mystery, romance, and a few dark topics, read Breaking Beautiful.


Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment