Friday, January 17, 2014

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (Lux, #2) Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


My Review:

This was a great continuation to the series.  The romance was good in this one, and there was a lot going on with the characters, especially with the DOD being in town.  

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

There were some new characters in this one who were interesting to read about.  The DOD is in town, so there are some DOD characters that pop up in some of the chapters.  But the main new character that I'm thinking of is Blake.  My feelings about him changed throughout the book.  At first, I thought he seemed like a sweet new guy who obviously liked Katy.  And he seemed normal too, so he could help her escape from all the alien craziness.  But then it turned out that he wasn't normal.  He knew all about the alien world, and he wanted to help Katy train the new powers that she was getting.  When he started doing the training, he chnaged.   I didn't like him anymore because he would do risky things with seemingly complete disregard for Katy's safety.  And there are more things that you find out about him near the end of the book.

The romance between Katy and Daemon is well-developed.  I was waiting for this romance to happen in the last book, but it didn't really.  Katy tries to act like she isn't attracted to Daemon, but she really isn't fooling anybody, including Daemon.  She has her doubts about his feelings for her, thinking they are only existing because of the bond, but it was obvious to me how much he liked her.  He was jealous of Blake when Katy went on a date with him, and he was always worried about her safety.  There are some really sweet scenes between the two of them.  There is the Thanksgiving scene and the scene after the big fight with Blake.  I love these two as characters, and as a couple.

If you like YA paranormal, read this book.

Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment