Tuesday, January 5, 2016

My Favorite 2015 Releases (Non-Debuts)

These are books that released in 2015 that are not debuts that I loved.  These are not in any particular order because it would be too difficult to rank them.

I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios - I really enjoyed this book, though not quite as much as Demetrios' debut, Something Real.  I think this one was more serious in tone than that one.  It dealt with tough things like war, PTSD, and being an amputee.  I really enjoyed the slow burn romance.

The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord - This book has cemented Emery Lord as an official autobuy author for me.  I loved Open Road Summer last year, but I'd say that I loved this one even more.  The ship was utter perfection, and the friendships were so fabulous between Paige and her three best friends.  I cannot wait to read Lord's 2016 release, When We Collided.

Lying Out Loud by Kody Keplinger - I enjoyed getting to read another Keplinger book.  This one isn't my favorite of hers but I did like it.  I liked how it focused a lot on a friendship, and how there were problems the friends had that were dealt with and not just brushed aside.

The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West - This book was cute and fluffy, and as amazing as I expect Kasie West books to be.  I hope I'll always have a new Kasie West book to read each year, because I love them so much, and even if there isn't a new one, I'll just go reread the others instead.  Kasie West is a total autobuy author for me, since I have bought all five of her books so far and love them. 

What We Left Behind by Robin Talley - I read this one as an ARC, and I loved it so much.  It was an eye-opener to many things about gender and sexuality that I did not yet know, and some of the discussions in the book were so fabulous.  Also, it has basically an entirely LGBTQIA cast of characters.  I have many thoughts on what makes this book so unique, and they are all in my review.

Under the Lights by Dahlia Adler - This book was so good and fluffy and cute, while also being so important.  It has a lesbian narrator and a bi love interest, and the romance between these two characters was fabulous.

The Revenge Playbook by Rachael Allen - This one looks like it might be just a cute and fluffy read about revenge, which isn't a bad thing, since I love fluffy books, but it is also so much more than that.  This book is actually a powerful commentary on rape culture, and on the problem in American culture of letting football players get away with anything.  The preferential treatment that they get is really awful.

Emmy and Oliver by Robin Benway - This book! It has a great ship, great characters, great friendships, and a great story.  I flew through it and I loved it. 

Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally - This was a cute read that was pretty light.  I enjoyed watching Maya change her views on Jesse as she began to fall for him.

The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - This was a good mystery and political thriller that I really enjoyed reading.

Just Visiting by Dahlia Adler - Wow! This book is one of the best that I've ever read.  I love it so much.  It deals with so many topics that I haven't seen often before in YA.  It also deals with poverty which I have read about a few times but is still fairly rare in books.  I also loved the friendship between Reagan and Victoria.  This is one of my favorite female friendships in books ever.

What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler - This book is extremely important and everyone needs to read it.  It deals with the pervasive rape culture in America, and it made me angry a lot.  I loved the book so much, though, not because it was an easy read of course, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment