Friday, January 2, 2015

2014 End of the Year Book Survey

2014 End Of Year Book Survey 
This is created by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner, and I thought it would be fun to look back at what I read this year and answer the questions.

reading-stats-2014 
Number of Books Read:98
Number of Re-Reads: 14
Genre I Read the Most From: contemporary YA
best-YA-books-2014 
1. Best Book You Read in 2014?
This is a really hard question, since I read so many amazing books, but I'm going to say that Far From You by Tess Sharpe was one of the best that I read.

2. Book You Were Excited About and Thought You Were Going to Love More But Didn't?
I was very excited for Great by Sara Benincasa, so I even ordered it and bought it shortly after it released.  I ended up liking it, but I thought I would like it more.  It isn't really one of my all-time favorites, or a book that I can really see myself re-reading.

3. Most surprising (in a good or bad way) book you read in 2014?

4. Book you pushed the most people to read (and they did) in 2014?
I don't really push books on very many people, so it's hard to think of a book that would apply to this question.  I pushed a lot of books on one person, who read all of the books that I pushed on him, though.

5.  Best series you started in 2014?  Best sequel of 2014?  Best series ender of 2014?
 The best series ender of 2014 was Split Second by Kasie West, which I believe I read twice in this year.  The best sequel of 2014 was either Deadly Little Sins by Kara Taylor or Frozen by Erin Bowman.  I don't think I really started many new series.

6.  Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
I kind of want to put an author who I read for than one book by this year, but I can't think of any, so I'm going to go with Tess Sharpe for this one.  She debuted this year with Far From You, which was a stunning debut that I've already read twice.

7.  Best book from a genre you didn't typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I would say that the book I read this year that was most out of my comfort zone was Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge.  It was very much a mythology and fantasy book that had some very developed and possibly sometimes confusing worldbuilding.

8.  Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The most thrilling book of the year was definitely Rites of Passage by Joy Hensley.  This book had me worried for Sam's safety throughout it.

9.  Book you read in 2014 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
I'd say that I'm likely to reread Far From You by Tess Sharpe next year.  I've already reread it twice, and it's been a great reading experience both times, so I can see myself reading it again next year as well.

10.  Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
I really like the cover of Something Real by Heather Demetrios.

Something Real

11.  Most memorable character of 2014?
A very memorable character of 2014 was Sophie from Far From You.  She was such an emotional character to be in the head of.

12.  Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
I would say that Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot was the most beautifully written of the books that I read this year.

13.  Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2014?
Falling Into Place was a book that I finished on December 29th, so it just barely makes it onto this list, but I thought that it was very thought-provoking.

14.  Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
I can't believe I waited until 2014 to read Boundless by Cynthia Hand.  I really enjoyed the first 2 books in this series, but I didn't read the final book of the trilogy until over a year after it released.

15.  Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2014?
I don't really mark down passages or quotes from books, so I'm going to skip this one.

16.  Shortest and longest book you read in 2014?
The shortest book that I read this year was The Blue-Haired Boy by Courtney Stevens, but that's a novella, so I'm also going to put the shortest full-length book.  The shortest book that I read this year was The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu.  The longest book I read this year was Take Me On by Katie McGarry.

17.  Book that shocked you the most?
The book that shocked me the most was The Summer I Wasn't Me by Jessica Verdi.  I'm thinking of that one that I won't say for spoilery reasons, but if you've read it, you know the part I'm referring to, and it was very shocking.

18.  OTP of the Year
My OTP of the Year is actually one where one of the character isn't alive anymore at the start of the book, so it probably seems strange that that was my #1 ship of the year.  This book was Far From You by Tess Sharpe, and the ship was Sophie and Mina.  I rooted for these two so much, even though I already knew how this would end.  Also, I feel like I've put this book for quite a few categories so far.  I'm also going to say that another one of my favorite OTPs was Micah and Lainey from The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes, which was a much lighter and fluffier book than Far From You, though they were both amazing.

19.  Favorite Non-Romantic relationship of the year
My favorite non-romantic relationship was definitely Olivia and Zoey from Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor.  This book was really powerful and sad, and their friendship was written so amazingly.

20.  Favorite book you read in 2014 from an author you've read previously
I've loved every Miranda Kenneally book that I've read previously and her 2014 release, Breathe, Annie, Breathe, was no different.

21.  Best book you read in 2014 that you read SOLELY on a recommendation from someone else/peer pressure?
I didn't really read this on any direct recommendation to me, but it isn't the genre that I typically read, so I probably wouldn't have read it if it hadn't been for all the raving reviews of it that I read.  This book is Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge.

22.  Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
I had a character that I thought would be good for this category and then something happened in the book, and I changed my mind about that.  That character was Will Divine from For Real by Alison Cherry.  Instead, I'm going to say that my fictional crush is Bodee from Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens, since he was such a sweet guy.

23.  Best 2014 debut you read?
I'll say that the best debut that I read this year was Far From You by Tess Sharpe.

24.  Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?
The worldbuilding of Cruel Beauty was very intricate and interesting, so I'm going to put that for this category.

25.  Book that put a smile on your face/was the most FUN to read?
I read Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas twice this year, and it was a pure fun read.

26.  Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2014?
The closest a book has some to making me cry this year is Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor.  I didn't cry or nearly cry while I read it the first time, but when I re-read it, I nearly cried, since I knew what was coming soon in the story.  Another book that also came very close to making me cry this year was Far From You by Tess Sharpe.

27.  Hidden Gem of the Year?
I'm going to say My Best Friend, Maybe, since I've seen this on lists of not getting as much attention, and I loved it.

28.  Book that crushed your soul?
Far From You by Tess Sharpe also wins for this category.  I don't usually cry while reading books, so while I didn't cry reading this, it was the book that came the closest to making me cry.  Sophie's pain and grief was so palpable throughout the book, and it was absolutely amazing.

29.  Most unique book you read in 2014?
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge was a really unique story.

30.  Book that made you the most mad (doesn't necessarily mean you didn't like it)?
The book that made me angry was The Summer I Wasn't Me by Jessica Verdi, since I didn't like the idea of the camp in this book.  Also, Mr. Martin made me so angry.  But I loved this book, despite how angry it made me.  Another book that also made me really angry was Rites of Passage by Joy Hensley, because of all the horrible misogyny of many of the male characters.  I don't know which of these two books made me angrier.

looking-ahead-books-2015

1.  One book you didn't get to in 2014 but will be your number 1 priority in 2015?
I didn't get to read Top Ten Clues You're Clueless by Liz Czukas in 2014, but I ordered it and it should arrive at my house tomorrow, so I will read it in early 2014.  I loved Liz Czukas' debut book, Ask Again Later, since it was really fun and cute and a quick read, and it looks like Top Ten Clues You're Clueless will also be a light and fun read, so I look forward to it.

2. Book you are anticipating most for 2015 (non-debut)?
I'd say one of the non-debuts that I'm most excited for is Liars, Inc. by Paula Stokes.  I loved The Art of Lainey, and even though Liars, Inc. is going to be very different than The Art of Lainey, it also sounds like the type of book that I like to read.  I'm also excited for Cynthia Hand's first contemporary, The Last Time We Say Goodbye, since I loved the Unearthly series, and contemporary is my favorite genre.

3. 2015 debut you are most anticipating?
It's hard to pick one for this, since there are so many 2015 debuts that I am excited for.  I'm going to list two here, and there are many more that I'm excited for that I'm not going to list.  One of the books that I'm excited for is None of the Above by IW Gregorio, since it will be the first book I've ever read with an intersex character, and I don't know much about intersex, so I hope I'll be able to learn more about it by reading this book.  Another 2015 debut that I'm very excited for is Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli.  This sounds like a light LGBT story, and the comparisons to You've Got Mail also make it sound really good.

4. Series ending/a sequel that you are most anticipating in 2015?
I'm excited for Forged by Erin Bowman to see how this series wraps up.  Also, I hope that the ship that I'm rooting for will officially set sail in Forged.  This ship is Gray/Bree.

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2015?
I hope to be able to read about 100 books in 2015, and to get back into blogging more, since I know that I didn't blog for a while at the end of this year.

6. A 2015 release that you've already read and recommend to everyone?
I haven't read any 2015 releases yet, so I can't answer this.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment