Monday, June 30, 2014

Review: Split Second by Kasie West

Split Second (Pivot Point, #2) Life can change in a split second.

Addie hardly recognizes her life since her parents divorced. Her boyfriend used her. Her best friend betrayed her. She can’t believe this is the future she chose. On top of that, her ability is acting up. She’s always been able to Search the future when presented with a choice. Now she can manipulate and slow down time, too . . . but not without a price.

When Addie’s dad invites her to spend her winter break with him, she jumps at the chance to escape into the Norm world of Dallas, Texas. There she meets the handsome and achingly familiar Trevor. He’s a virtual stranger to her, so why does her heart do a funny flip every time she sees him? But after witnessing secrets that were supposed to stay hidden, Trevor quickly seems more suspicious of Addie than interested in her. And she has an inexplicable desire to change that.

Meanwhile, her best friend, Laila, has a secret of her own: she can restore Addie’s memories . . . once she learns how. But there are powerful people who don’t want to see this happen. Desperate, Laila tries to manipulate Connor, a brooding bad boy from school—but he seems to be the only boy in the Compound immune to her charms. And the only one who can help her.

As Addie and Laila frantically attempt to retrieve the lost memories, Addie must piece together a world she thought she knew before she loses the love she nearly forgot . . . and a future that could change everything.


My Review:

I read Pivot Point when it first released last year, and since then I have read it again.  As soon as my preordered copy of this arrived in the mail, I began to read it.  I really liked this one, and I had trouble putting it down.  I liked how I got to read both Addie's POV and Laila's POV this time.  I never finished this review when I originally started writing, so I reread the book so I can finish the review, and it was equally as amazing the second time around.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

The parts of this book told in Addie's POV contained some deja vu at first, but I'm not saying this is a bad thing.  I liked this, how I was seeing characters I remembered from Pivot Point that Addie did not remember.  One person that she meets soon after arriving at her dad's house is Stephanie.  Now this is Stephanie, Trevor's ex, who didn't like Addie at all in Pivot Point.  This makes it more surprising when they become friends.  I thought it was funny that she met Trevor's little brother before she met Trevor.  When she was talking to him, I wondered if he was the brother, and he was.  And, of course, she meets Trevor.  He seems familiar to her, but that doesn't mean she has the memories of him.  She knows she wants them back though.  Also, Trevor is starting to get suspicious when Addie does a couple of normally impossible things in front of him.

I liked how we also got to read Laila's POV in this book, since I liked her character in Pivot Point.  She has some interesting plans up her sleeve after she reads a note that Addie wrote to herself.  Of course, Laila wasn't supposed to be the one reading the note, but she finds out that she might be able to restore memories.  In the future that Addie didn't choose, Laila had already learned how to do that, but the Laila in the present doesn't know how.  She knows of one person that can help her, and this person is Connor Bradshaw.  Their relationship doesn't exactly start off on the right foot.  This is a hate-to-love romance, and I really loved it.  Watching Laila open up to love is awesome.  She meets her match in Connor, a boy who she can't manipulate, so everything between them has to be real.

There is a lot going on in this book that has to do with the secrets that the Compound is keeping.  The Containment Committee is pretty scary, since they are willing to do any memory to keep the Compound secrets from getting out to the world.  They also don't care if they need to manipulate someone's feelings and test them to see if they are trustworthy.  What they did to Addie in this book was pretty low.

If you like Kasie West books, read this book.

Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment